Step 1. Questions
The letters STD stand for sexually transmitted disease. Some STDs are especially damaging to health and are difficult to cure. Infection with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), which is spread from person to person in many of the same ways that STDs are, can be fatal if it develops into acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). AIDS already has killed millions of people around the world.
For this e-Journal project, you will investigate and report on STDs. You may report on STDs in general, or choose to focus on a specific disease.
Here are some questions to guide your research.
As you visit the Web sites listed in Step 2, take notes in the note-taking boxes. You may also use search engines to find other Web sites, or research STDs at the library. You may also choose to interview a physician, nurse, or other health-care professional.
- What are some common STDs? What are their causes? How are they treated?
- What are HIV and AIDS? Why is AIDS so difficult to treat?
- What support is available for people who have developed or are affected by AIDS?
- What is the best way to protect yourself from STDs?
- What other questions do you have about STDs?
When you are ready, follow Steps 3 and 4 to write your report.
Step 2. Research
Research answers for the questions you were asked in Step 1. Visit these Web sites. Take notes about them on this page, too!