1. What did the Cry of Dolores convince many Mexicans to do?
a. grow more crops
b. go to war against the Spanish
c. conquer all of California's land
d. immigrate to Canada
2. What is the name for a ranch where cattle, horses, and other animals were raised?
a. casa grande
3. Which of the following were stops along American Trade Routes in the 1800s?
4. What were some of the things that trade ships brought from California to Boston?
a. books and paper
b. tallow and hides
c. cotton and wool
d. musical instruments
5. Who is the man in the picture?
a. James Beckwourth
b. Alexander Hamilton
c. George Washington
d. Frederick Douglass
6. What did the man in the picture discover?
a. an important pass through the Sierra Nevada to Mexico
b. Sierra Nevada
c. an important pass through the Sierra Nevada to California
d. Los Angeles
7. What is the belief that the United States should control all the land from the Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean?
a. the Alamo
b. the Bear Flag Revolt
c. the Constitution
d. Manifest Destiny
8. How long did it take to get to California by sea from New York?
a. one year
b. three weeks
c. four months
d. six to twelve months
9. How much did it cost to get to California from Canton, China around the year 1850?
10. Which route to California was the cheapest in 1850, according to the map?
a. by sea from New York around Cape Horn
b. by sea and the Isthmus of Panama
d. by sea from Canton, China
Big Idea Activity |
Field Trip |
Day in the Life |
Local Connection |
Quick Quiz |
California Vistas |
Our Golden State
Published by Macmillan/McGraw-Hill, a division of the Educational and Professional
Publishing Group of The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc., 1221 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, New York 10020. Copyright ©2007 Macmillan/McGraw-Hill. All rights reserved. Image Credits