Choose a Letter
| A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M |
| N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z |
List of Words for Letter 'P'
Click on to hear the word and definition
- packet boat a boat that carries passengers, freight, and mail at set times over a set route
- parallel a line of latitude
- Patriot a colonist who was opposed to British rule
- patroon a land owner in New Netherland who had to bring 50 settlers to the colony to help settle his land
- pioneer a person who is among the first of non-native people to settle a region
- plateau a large area of flat land, higher than the surrounding country
- political cartoon a drawing that tells readers about events or people in the news
- pollution anything that dirties the air, soil, or water
- population density a measurement of how many people live within a certain area
- precipitation moisture that falls as rain, snow, sleet or hail
- prehistory the time before written records
- primary source an artifact, photograph, or spoken or written eyewitness account of an event in the past
- profit the money a business earns after it pays for tools, salaries, and other costs
- Prohibition the 18th amendment to the Constitution that made the sale of alcohol illegal
- proprietor owner of a colony
- public transportation transportation systems, such as buses, subways, and trains, usually found in larger cities
Published by Macmillan/McGraw-Hill, a division of the Educational and Professional Publishing Group of
The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc., 1221 Avenue of the Americas, New York, New York 10020.
Copyright ©2006 Macmillan/McGraw-Hill. All rights reserved.